The Dixie Henhouse Homestead at Ellis Farms

The Dixie Henhouse Homestead at Ellis Farms

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

About a year ago, we began making our own liquid laundry detergent. What a savings!!!! We're talking that it costs only a FEW CENTS per load of laundry. When I bought our initial supplies to make the first batch, it cost around $7- $8. We are still using the original box of Borax and box of Washing Soda. The only thing I have had to restock was the Fels-Naptha Soap and it's $1 a bar. I've bought 3 bars in a year. My husband is who actually makes it each time. It takes him about 20 minutes. It makes 2 gallons of liquid each time. That 2 gallons lasts our family of 4 approximately two months. I've got you thinkin', haven't I?
YES!!! My clothes are clean! YES!!! They smell good. YES!!! It's worth the extra effort. The $$$$$ savings ALONE should convince you!!! If you buy it in the store....This stuff ain't cheap!!!

Here is our recipe:

Get a pot that is large enough to hold 6 cups of liquid. Get it on the stovetop at around Medium temp.
Grate 1/3 of a bar of Fels-Naptha Soap into 4 cups of hot water (NOT BOILING). Stir until it's dissolved.
Add 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Stir until it's dissolved.
Add 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax. Stir until it's dissolved.
In a two gallon container (we use an old laundry detergent container that we had saved), add two cups of WARM water then pour the dissolved liquid mixture into the container. *I suggest using a funnel and another set of hands to help with this.
Fill the remaining space in the container up with more warm water. Then let it cool.
*Some folks will add essential oils like lavender for added scent, but we don't. I like the natural clean smell just from the original ingredients.

About a 1/2 cup per load is what you would need.

NOTE: Each time you use the detergent, you will need to shake the jug because the gel settles out when it sits.

It is safe for HE washers (this is what we have). This recipe does not "suds up". It cleans. It doesn't make bubbles.

Now go get started!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I've seen plenty of people do this, my sister included but I haven't jumped on the wagon yet. Maybe I will though. I need to find a way to cut a few costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found a recipe for homemade dishwasher tabs. It's essentially the same ingredients as above with one change. I want to try it next. You use ice cube trays.

    ReplyDelete